5 days post op - really I was buzzing. I said it would be warts and all so if it offends anyone I apologise

The c word (breast cancer experience)

The surgery being performed was basically a double mastectomy with expandables, Which means they will be injected monthly, expanding them to the size I required. At a later date replacing them with implants,Therefore it was a lengthy op, about 5 hours normally I believe. It was a new way of doing the proceedure in terms of utilising what was possible of the skin already surrounding the breast to make them more natural. The downside was that the possibility of rejection and infection was high, in which case he would have to revert back to the old way of using back muscle. (Mr Munot stated later that mine were the best outcome he had had so far - get in!!!!!) Anyway back to 21st December 2011 - David, Dolly and the kids came back in the afternoon as promised with gifts and love. The nurse advised them to go back home as there had been complications and they wouldn't see me awake any time soon. My loved ones still wanted to see me - aw bless!! I didn't look a picture of health, tubes and monitors which scared the kids. Georgia recalls being told I was on life support. I don't think it was quite that bad but it just shows how scared she was. They walked to the lift in silence, dolly broke down and cried while David and the kids remained silent.  

Half way through the surgery I had respiratory depression. Which means I had been given an overdose of morphine or had a reaction to it and stopped breathing. immediatly a morphine reversal was given and the priority is to regain the breathing and carry on with the surgery unfortunately without any pain relief. I woke up but cannot remember thank god - extra anaesthetic was given which is why I didn't wake until the evening. I opened my eyes, the pain hit me like a train and panic took over. My bed was surrounded with nurses and doctors - Munot was in the middle, it was chaotic. He started to explain that I was not allowed pain relief until i woke but would now be given a paracetamol iv as they couldn't risk anything stronger. He asked me if I could remember anything about the op. I could not remember but couldn't answer as I was continuously vomiting which was difficult with an oxygen mask. Everyone were trying to make me as comfortable as possible and eventually I drifted back off to sleep. My family came back but I cannot remember Seeing them.

Being in a private room was ultimate comfort, the nurses couldn't do enough for me. It would be a lie to say I was not looked after constantly because I was treat like royalty. The next day things started to settle down. The pain was bearable and the results were looking good - I was pretty chuffed actually. I was soooo comfy, having really cozy sleeps.

Christmas Eve came and the visitors were continuous - my family and friends were amazingly supportive. It wasnt until the evening when darkness set in and silence was surrounding me that it felt surreal to be alone in my bed. Being the only patient in the hospital i  had 2 choices - sit here and feel sorry for myself or make this a memorable Christmas Eve - ffs drains in each hand like 2 little handbags, my chocolates under one arm, I began to shuffle my way to the nurses station. Laura Croft had nothing on me.  "I'm here to spoil your fun" i smiled approaching them and from that moment on we never stopped laughing until about 1am. We raided the fridge, we sang, danced (as much as you can with 2 drains exiting your body.  I was exhausted. So much so the nurses literally had to take me back to my bed and I slept like a baby.

I woke Christmas morning very excited to be going home. The nurses had been ace but the thought of spending the day with my family was the best Christmas present ever. The kids refused to open any gifts Without me. Before leaving the hospital my drains had to be removed. The nurse sheepishly whispered I'm not going to lie this is not pleasant. It was not nice lets just say that but I was free and could go home.David picked me up and I had a wonderful Christmas at home.

My recovery was remarkable. Being totally happy with my surgery results, I just could not stop looking at them in the mirror. Optimisum had set in and i knew I could cope with anything. 

I never once once thought I might die.  As usual living in the moment had been my saviour.  It took a while to get on my feet but my speedy recovery was down to many factors.  My positive attitude along side the support from my famiPly and friends. My wonderful dog whiskey never left my side from the moment I arrived home and walking him throughout this process was a support mechanism which seemed critical to keeping me sane.  The exercise helped my energy levels.  David, the kids and Dolly fussed around me and from that moment I don't think Dolly went home again.